Find Out What It Takes To Become A Canadian Citizen

Posted on: 23 December 2014


Many people want to move to Canada. Moving to Canada isn't as easy as deciding to land in the country. There are rules and regulations surrounding become a permanent citizen of the country. If you are interested in living in Canada permanently, you should talk to an immigration lawyer as soon into the process as possible. They can help you get through the process easier and make sure that you don't miss anything. 


There are several categories of immigrant. You are going to have to figure out which one you fit into. Those categories include federal skilled workers, family sponsorships, start-up visas, and refugees. 

  • Federal Skilled Workers: In order to fit into this class, you have to have worked for a least one year, continuously, in one of a number of specific fields
  • Family Sponsorships: These are for people who already have family who are permanent residents or citizens of Canada. 
  • Start-up Visas: If you have a viable idea for a new business, as well as someone who will be able to fund it, then you may be able to become a resident using this category. 
  • Refugees: Refugees include people who are fleeing from violence in their home countries as well as a specific threat of violence to their person. 

Gather Paperwork

Once you have determined which category of immigration you fit into, it's time to start gathering up your paperwork. You will need things like your birth certificate, passport, proof of work experience, and proof of sponsorship, if necessary. You have to submit all the appropriate documents with your application. If you aren't sure which documents will work, then the lawyer that you are working with can help you figure out which you need and which ones you can use substitutes for. 

Start the Application

The government agencies in the province that you wish to live in will be the place to start here. They will be able to direct you to the places you will need to go. You can also contact the federal immigration agencies. Your lawyer will be able to help you work through the application, and go with you to appointments and meetings. 

If you want to move to Canada, you need to go through a number procedures to become a permanent resident of citizen. If this is something that you want to do, then contact a lawyer from a firm like Cantini Law Firm and see what you can do to get the process started.